Thursday, October 27, 2011

Open Letter...

To Charles Bukowski,

In your tale of "Dinosauria, We", you create both a sense of mystery and awareness that we, as the present generation, need to focus on in order to prevent an event like "this" to occur. The "this" leaves me open for much pondering such as wondering whether "this" was created due to human kind's ability, or created because of events humans did not try to prevent: such as Global Warming.

There is one thing that incredibly sticks out in my mind and that's these certain sentences that I will mention: "the sun will stay hidden there, awaiting the next chapter". These two lines of the poem can be interpreted in many ways, but how did you want the readers to interpret it? I interpreted it as a period of "rebirth"--where the sun is waiting to start the world anew, but I do have a question as to regarding that...
If your purpose was to convey a sense that the world would be reborn, what is your meaning of "rebirth"? Is it in the sense that the whole world will start over again like the first makings of Earth, or did you mean that things--for the people still living--will just begin again for them.

One other quote that sticks in my mind is your line about robots: from what I understand, the "robots" that you mean are not super advanced technological species, but in the sense that we, as humans, would become if "this" occurred. When I think of this poem added with the sense of humans in the "this" world, I think of desensitization and a programed way of doing stuff. What I mean by that is after living in that world for such a long time, we would start to lose our sense of emotion and we would religiously continue to do things as if we were programed to do such. Well, at least that's what I believe.

--Sincerely,
Lexi

1 comment:

  1. Hey lexie! Maybe the whole concept of rebirth is a logical interpretation you made, and I believe that maybe his thought process of how the world should continue is with the people who survived. As you can see in history, people who have faced tragedies continue with their lives and slowly recover. Such as the black death perhaps. Maybe "this" is just another tragedy that is waiting to occur.

    ReplyDelete