Monday, January 23, 2012

If Daisy was Our Narrator

I was losing grasp of the situation quickly; everything was spinning out of control in terms of the conversation between Jay and Tom where it was incredibly difficult to follow. The hostility Tom held for Jay was so blatantly obvious and undiluted that I was sure Jay had realized it too, though he tried to act rather nonchalant about it. I tried to divert the topic by offering to make my husband a mint julep, but he wasn't finished quite yet.

"Wait a minute," he snapped, "I want to ask Mr. Gatsby one more question." When Jay politely insisted that he go on, Tom continued, "What kind of row are you trying to cause in my house anyhow?"

"He isn't causing a row," I defended as I desperately looked to the others around the table--Nick and Jordan. "You're causing a row. Please have a little self-control."

"Self-control!" he repeated incredulously. "I suppose the latest thing is to sit back and let Mr. Nobody from Nowhere make love to your wife. Well, if that's the idea you can count me out...Nowadays people begin by sneering at family life and family institutions, and next they'll throw everything overboard and have intermarriage between black and white."

I was stunned by the remainder of his rant, and I was sure most of my shock came across my face; I felt as if I was unable to breathe...unable to move. I knew though that I wanted to leave--I wanted to leave now.

"I've got something to tell you, old sport--" began Jay, but I was quick to cut him off when I knew the direction in which his sentence was spiraling; my heart was jumping so quickly.

"Please don't! Please let's all go home. Why don't we all go home?"

"That's a good idea." I was thankful for Nick's help as he got up. "Come on, Tom. Nobody wants a drink."

0 comments:

Post a Comment